I've been planning to head for Dungeness for quite a while. I took this picture back in 2012, when flying over the cuspate foreland. I finally made it there in early August as part of a Kent road trip with my son.
Image: Alan Parkinson
I found there were a lot of musical connections with the place.
Dungeness appears quite often in music videos, album covers and adverts. It featured on the cover of Pink Floyd's 1981 album A Collection of Great Dance Songs.
British band The Soup Dragons shot the videos for their top 5 1990 hit '"I'm Free", and follow-up top 20 1991 hit "Mother Universe" on Dungeness.
The shingle beach and fishermen's shacks feature extensively in the Lighthouse Family promotional video for their 1998 song "High".
The acoustic mirror at Dungeness is featured on the cover of the album Ether Song by the British indie band Turin Brakes.
Dungeness appears on the covers of albums as diverse as So Much for the City by The Thrills and Aled by Aled Jones.
The Prodigy's single "Invaders Must Die" video was filmed here and shows both the acoustic mirrors and the lighthouse.
In 2011, the music video for the song Walk the River by British band Guillemots was filmed on the headland.
In 2012, Nicki Minaj's single Freedom was filmed on the beach and with the acoustic mirrors. It has rude words in it.
Athlete have a song on the album Vehicles and Animals called "Dungeness" which is about the area.



No comments:
Post a Comment