Friday, 24 July 2026

Jul 24: Pat Metheny at the Barbican

I think Pat Metheny may be getting close to being the artist I've seen play live the most. At one point it was probably It Bites, or Whippersnapper or Jethro Tull... all of whom were in double digits. I first saw Pat play live on the First Circle tour which was on May 4th 1985 at the Manchester Apollo - one of only 2 dates that year.

I've seen Pat play live in various different circumstances:

- with the Pat Metheny Group - including the late Lyle Mays and Steve Rodby, along with varying combinations of musicians

- as a Trio, with various musicians, including Antonio Sanchez

- Solo (including a superb concert at the Barbican 

- with the Orchestrion: an automated 

On Sunday, I headed down to the Barbican to see the latest tour with Side Eye 3+

Set List

Opening drum intro - in 'First Circle style'... although that involved a wider range of instruments...

In On It

Bright Size Life

Don’t Look Down

Better Days Ahead

Make a New World

The First Circle

Band introduction

Urban and Western

The Red One - (a John Scofield & Pat Metheny song)

Más allá (Beyond)

Phase Dance

Round Trip / Round Trip / Broadway Blues

Zenith Blue

America The Beautiful / The People United Will Never Be Defeated / Last Train Home

Are You Going With Me?

Minuano (Six Eight), Antonia, James, September Fifteenth, This Is Not America

Song for Bilbao

Here's a live performance from a Paris concert...


No comments:

Post a Comment