Wednesday, 30 September 2026

Sep 30: Cities and Music #11: Bristol

Bristol is a city which has a lot of musical connections. It's also connected with Aardman animations of course.

It's a city that I've been visiting each year for some time as we break the journey on the way down to Devon. We stay in the same hotel and always have a good time there. I've also been to the University quite a few times over the years to lead sessions for PGCE colleagues and others.

There is a Rough Trade records shop in the city which is a focal point for many.

Just outside of the city is Portishead, where I have also stayed. It's a nice marina area, and there is a band which took their name from it.

Music is also represented in the street art which can be found in certain districts of the city.

Here's one of Portishead's more famous tracks: Glory Box.

Gary Numan shared a picture on his social media of him sat on some steps, one of which had his name on them, along with lots of other musicians and bands' names on the other steps.

I was intrigued at where this might be, and discovered that it is at the fairly newly redeveloped venue called 

I visited this summer and took my own pictures of some of the groups featured.

Images: Street Art and Portishead Marina Alan Parkinson - shared on Flickr under CC license.

No comments:

Post a Comment