Tuesday, 22 September 2026

Sep 22 Incantations and a rock formation

In 1978, Mike Oldfield released his fourth album: 'Incantations'.

Incantations was a double album with four pieces spread across the 4 sides of the vinyl.

It was mostly instrumental.

I remember hearing a fragment of this for the first time while in the car with my family coming back from a trip out to a village pub in Firbeck, South Yorkshire. The radio programme played part of Side 1 as a trail for the album - not sure what channel or show that would have been, but I instantly knew I would need to get this album and that I would love it. At this point, the idea of seeing him was not something that seemed possible. I was yet to see my first live gig and I didn't know how one would go about seeing someone so famous anyway.

The album remains one of my favourites, particularly Side 3 which is basically an extended guitar solo for most of it.

The front cover features Mike on a beach with a distinctively shaped rock behind him.

This is a place called Cap Pregonda on the Spanish island of Menorca.

It is one of those places that I've always wanted to try to get to... I'll get there one day.

Are there any places that you have always particularly wanted to go to which were inspired by an album cover or a piece of music. 

No comments:

Post a Comment