Saturday, 13 June 2026

Jun 13: A song you like from the 70s

Well, there's no shortage of these as I was a teenager in the 1970s and developing my musical tastes...

Mike Oldfield was a key person during this time... and I was disappointed to miss his first live shows.

I remember being in the car when I heard the first extracts from his album 'Incantations' which was played as part of his Exposed tour dates at Wembley in 1979. The 3rd side of this album is basically a long guitar solo...

In the early 80s, as a student at Huddersfield Polytechnic I came across a tape cassette of an album called 'The Mathematician's Air Display'

It turns out that this was a re-release of an album by the Finnish bass player Pekka Pohjola.

The music was interesting and ended up with a long track.

This is in two parts...

Here's Part One


And Part Two... the longer of the two, with some excellent drumming from Pierre Moerlen, and Mike's guitar work is excellent too. It's crescendo-tastic.


From Wikipedia....

According to critic Jukka Hauru, "Northern music is recognisable by its robust bass lines, which rise and fall as smoothly as the Finnish seasons. Other characteristics of Nordicness include harmony, even rhythm, discipline, cartoonishness, repetition, simplicity, even naivety – all curse words for the convoluted, stilted modernism".

No comments:

Post a Comment