Sunday, 4 October 2026

Oct 4: NWOBHM & Saracen

Quite an acronym... and one which was important for the promotion of a series of bands.

The new wave of British heavy metal (often abbreviated as NWOBHM) was a nationwide musical movement that began in England in the mid-1970s and achieved international attention by the early 1980s. Editor Alan Lewis coined the term for an article by Geoff Barton in a May 1979 issue of the British music newspaper Sounds to describe the emergence of heavy metal bands in the mid-to-late 1970s, as punk rock declined amid the dominance of new wave music.

From Wikipedia.

One band I liked at the time was Saracen, from Matlock in Derbyshire.
They were formed in 1980, but I started hearing them in 1982-3 during my time at Huddersfield Polytechnic when, as I've said before I developed a taste for many of the bands I still listen to a lot today.
The album I listened to was 'Heroes, Saints and Fools'.

They released a number of other albums, both of which had some very good moments... including others I have mentioned including one based on the Knights Templar.


What are your memories of bands from this NWOBHM era?

No comments:

Post a Comment